August issue out July 8th

Thursday 21 January 2010

It's in the papers - and are the papers in the food?

Yesterday's article on dog food in the Daily Mail has caused much interest! Click here if you haven't seen it yet.

There's been some very lively exchanges in the comments section, 177 and rising so far!

Some of the reporting was a little odd, Catherine O'Driscoll certainly isn't best known for her dog training, but she has dogs and I'm sure she's trained them to sit etc!

But very interesting to see an article on alternative feeding in a national newspaper.

The other day someone told me that some prepared petfood actually contains newspapers, so perhaps it is very apt that petfood is now in the papers! They said that it's described as cellulose on the label. Anyone know if this is true?
Urban myth or truth?
Mentioned the above to a friend as was shocked and they surprised me by defending added cellulose saying it was used to provide bulk without calories and was useful for weight management. And that newspaper is made of cellulose and it isn't necessarily newspaper that's added if it says cellulose on the packet.
Dog eat dog or dog eat newspaper?

3 comments:

Claire M said...

I was really pleased to see this article in the Mail. I think a lot of people have complete confidence in the pet food industry, which unfortunately is often abused. An article like this is a great way of alerting a huge number of people to the realities! It wouldn't suprise me at all if some food contained newspaper...

Bean said...

I was somewhat put on edge by the Daily Mail artical. I have a new puppy and only want what is best, so followed my vets advice a product from his shelf !!. Is this what's best I now ask myself??. I do suppliment the dogs food with some fresh chicken and veg which he really likes, But now dont know which way to go, maybe I'll feed him what we eat. My sister in law has done this for years with her dogs and the oldest is 19 so it's obviously doing them no harm at all.

properpetfood said...

I have to say - despite the article being a bit sensationalist - I was relieved that someone had finally had the courage to write about the horrors of feeding cats dry food. It's tough as an owner to not feed dry food as there seems to be so much available with the promise that it will 'clean your cats teeth', which is just not the case. There are so many downsides to feeding dry - we have many calls a day from owners who have cats with kidney problems and they are invariably fed on a complete dry food. The main issue is that cats do not get enough moisture from dry food and dry food is made from lots of low quality meat meal and/or grain. One of our customers told us about this website which seems very helpful - www.catinfo.org .

Henrietta Morrison, Lily's Kitchen